Cycling is suitable for people of all ages and abilities. Use it instead of other forms of transport and it's one of the easiest ways to fit exercise into your daily routine. So it can save you money, improve your fitness and is good for the environment.
Free Adult and Family Cycle Skills courses
- FREE 1 to 1 Cycle Skills sessions are available to anyone aged 16 or above who lives, works or studies in Barnet. Whether you're a first time rider or a regular cyclist looking to improve your skills, your instructor will tailor the session to suit your individual abilities and goals. Choose from: Basic Cycle Skills Book now or read more... Urban Cycle Skills Book now or read more... Advanced Cycle Skills Book now or read more...
- FREE Family Cycle Skills. Gain confidence and learn skills to cycle as a family. Your instructor will tailor the session to your requirements. Book now or read more...
Cycling to School
Cycling can be a convenient and healthy way to get to school, contributing to the 60 minutes a day of physical activity recommended by the four Chief Medical Officers of the UK.
Barnet offers every child - in Year 5, 6 and in all secondary year groups - who attends a school in the borough, the opportunity to take part in cycle training. Bikeability training delivers valuable life skills for cycling safely and an all-round sense of road safety so it’s beneficial whether pupils are cycling to school or in their leisure time.
It is recommended that pupils do not cycle to school unless they have received appropriate cycle training to Bikeability level 2 or 3.
In addition we run FREE Children's Group Cycle Training in the holidays. See Upcoming Events for more details.
Free Dr Bike sessions in Barnet
Have your bicycle checked and minor repairs fixed for free on the first Thursday of each month between 4pm and 7pm at the locations below:
- Thursday 5 October 2017 - opposite East Finchley tube station
- Thursday 2 November 2017 - Edgware bus station/Edgware tube station
- Thursday 7 December 2017 - Hendon Central tube station
- Thursday 4 January 2018 - opposite East Finchley tube station
- Thursday 1 February 2018 - Edgware bus station/Edgware tube station
- Thursday 1 March 2018 - Hendon Central tube station
The police will be there to security mark bicycles and offer advice.
Other resources in Barnet
Why not try the Marked and Measured Routes in Barnet parks? There are different distances and levels of difficulty which you can walk, run or cycle at your own pace for free.
You can also find out more about bicycle security marking offered by the Barnet Safer Transport Team.